two tier stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
alright this will be my build thread eventually but try to do all the figuring out before i jump into it. i'm going to build a two tier stand one pump set up, but i'm trying to think what will be best. figured i would ask the best group of knowledge i know. i have been looking at some of the commercial two tier stands Sabco's Brew Magic with the pump from HLT to MASH, and the Ruby Street Brew rig with the pump from Mash to Boil. what is the best set up or is it preferance. I was thinking about it and if the pump is set up at the HLT to the Mash it wouldn't require as much up keep on keeping it clean, where if its at the mash to the boil it will need broke down and cleaned every time. anyone with some input or giudance and advise are welcome here to learn all i can before building it so it is perfect from the star. :mug:

I made some ruff sketches of what's in my head for both styles I want it to be able to stand up right when not in use for space saving here are the pics let me know what you think the material I will be using is 2x2

image-1200993529.jpg

image-1291345436.jpg

wow those creases makes it look like my newborn drew them i thought i flatened them better then that lol. i'll get some better pics up then. maybe redraw them they look horrible lol

If using a pump a single tier work great. batch sparge nothing over head, can still stand on end for storage.

Here's my stand.

ForumRunner_20130305_104133.jpg

If I had to do it all over again, I would have coughed up the money for a second pump and made it a single height.

Can you use one pump on a one tier stand? Another question is are you able to fly sparge with a pump or do you regularly batch sparge on single tier. Threw all my reading brewing on a stand is one subject I can't to seem to find info on.

From what I understand, with one tier and one pump you can only batch sparge, and you have to move the pump connections back and forth. You can fly sparge if you have a second pump. With two tier you can fly sparge with one pump. I built the second style you have shown with the hlt and mlt on the higher level but I haven't used it yet. I started a thread but I don't know how to link from my phone.

I fly sparge using my pump while gravity handles the mash out. I also use my pump to cool the wort with my plate chiller. But I'm not a fan of how high up everything is on the stand which is why if I was doing it all over again I would opt for a single tier two pump stand.

Yes that process is what I intend to do. When I built my stand I was very careful to make it no taller than it absolutely needed to be. I'm 5'9" and I can just barely see into the top of the kegs on the upper tier. Kegs are relatively tall and narrow, if you were to design around 15 gallon pots, the whole thing could probably be 10 inches shorter and would be a comfortable height.

Just for incase I go the single tier way I designed one today. I'm not sure looks like more reading to do and get more info on all the stands. Anyone have some good reading material or some stuff that helped you along the way

image-1719624899.jpg

I think the "2 up, 1 down" set up works the best on a two tier system. I think it's better to pump the sparge water and gravity feed the boil pot. Here is my automated rig.

C1B92BC6-A705-47F7-AE94-5655FF573543-8245-000007EB8B929CB8.jpg

My stand is built as in the first drawing. 1 up 2 down. I would have done a straight two tier but my garage ceiling would not allow for it. I also don't use a pump. I just use the ground as my final gravity level. I could use a pump but I'm cheap and muscles are cheap. I also do not use a direct fire mash, so only two burners were needed. Mine is done in 2 angle iron. I can supply a pick if interested. I only do 5 gallon batches so lifting is still an option.

airdog_47 said:
My stand is built as in the first drawing. 1 up 2 down. I would have done a straight two tier but my garage ceiling would not allow for it. I also don't use a pump. I just use the ground as my final gravity level. I could use a pump but I'm cheap and muscles are cheap. I also do not use a direct fire mash, so only two burners were needed. Mine is done in 2 angle iron. I can supply a pick if interested. I only do 5 gallon batches so lifting is still an option.

Ya I will be using a cooler mash tun and only needing two burners too. Always drown to see pics. Thanks for all the input guys its helping a lot and giving me ideas to go off of. Keep some advice and pics coming like I said helping a lot and thanks again.

Back