Hand mixer for aerating wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susitna4

Reaction score
I've seen several different methods for aerating wort but have not heard of anyone using a hand mixer - the type you'd use to bake cupcakes. Any reason for this? I'm considering trying it since my last couple brews have stalled during fermentation.

Susitna4,

I used a metal plaster stir stick that I bought at Home Depot and connected it to my cordless drill. Did that for about a minute and was good to go. You can use about anything that will swirl the wort as long as it's sanitized. I now just let my wort flow from my counter flow chiller in to the buckets and that's all the aeration I need.

Brewer44

I've seen several different methods for aerating wort but have not heard of anyone using a hand mixer - the type you'd use to bake cupcakes. Any reason for this? I'm considering trying it since my last couple brews have stalled during fermentation.

I usually just stir the wort with my mash paddle quite vigorously for about 5 minutes, then splash the wort from the BK into the primary, getting a lot of air hitting the wort. I have yet to have a problem with this, and, often the primary is kicking out CO2 within 12 hours or less.

This seems to really work for me. I do Ales, and I bet I would need to do better for a lager. But, for Ales, this has never been an issue and I have never had a stalled fermentation.

Broc

I use a dual purpose paint mixer from HD it's the plastic model. I use it first to thoroughly mix the mash and to mix again during my second runnings. I also use it to whirlpool with IC during the chilling process afer the boil. It works great and I have been using this method for about the last 10 batches or so.

Thanks for all the info. I generally just rely on the splashing and agitation from transferring kettle to carboy. My last couple of brews (ales) got stuck fermenting and I'm trying to cover all the bases for my next batch.

My understanding:

Gas absorption is more effective and a quicker process at lower temps (this rule is used in force-carbonating, for example). I am not sure how effective aerating in the brew kettle is (unless it is after the immersion chiller has done its work).

I built a simple drill-attached stir-stick with a piece of narrow copper, flattened the end and drilled a hole through to attack a couple of metal "wings" that flip out. Cost me less than 5 bucks and I can stir-aerate beer or must in short order.

I personally use this for mixing the honey in no-heat mead making and use pure oxygen for aeration, but it could certainly be used for aeration.

I've done this on my last two batches, both pretty normal starting OG Pale Ales. In both cases using S-04.

I chill the wort with the IC, then dump into the fermentation bucket. Using the egg whisk attachment, I just agitate the surface for about 3-4 minutes on high speed until it's foamy. Sprinkle yeast on top of the foam and then hit it again for 20-30 seconds to mix the yeast in. My results were blown airlocks both times!

If I continue to use this method, I will definately start with a blow-off tube for the first two days. To me it just seemed a cheap and easy way to aerate.

And I thought I was such a trailblazer.

PS-If you have stuck fermentations, consider a starter. Not sure what OG you are starting at, but I had a higher OG Stout, was told to use a starter and didn't. I now listen to advice more readily.

I think it would work well. My only concern would be metal blades hitting the plastic in you bucket. It could scratch it up. I would say just be careful.

I use a variation of the paint mixer some of the other guys mentioned. I tore apart a Whirley Pop popcorn maker. The newer ones have a thin bars. The one I got from the thrifty store had thicker metal blades like the paint stirer. I just attach it to my drill and go to town.

I just put the stopper in then plug the hole with my finger (sanitized) and shake the livin hell outa it, then release my finger and repeat a bunch of times. I use a Better Bottle too so I squeeze it as well to try and bring some air into it. Haven't has any ferm issues doing this.

I use the whisk attachment on my immersion blender. Started doing this a couple of batches ago and my fermentations have started more quickly and been much more active.

Back