wheat beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth5aint

Reaction score
Im going to brew an extract wheat beer. I picked up flaked wheat because i read it adds mouthfeel and haze im looking for. I later read it just adds unfermentables without mashing another grain with it. Should i steep it or just save or for another brew with otger steepable specialty grains

If you can pick up a half pound of crushed 2-row malt then just "steep" them together in the 150s range (152 would be good) for 30-60 minutes and you'll be good. All the benefits from the flaked wheat plus a minor gravity boost from both. Just try to keep them in the 150s range and you'll be good.

Honey malt doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert other grains, but it can convert itself. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it in with the flaked wheat. Are you using any other grains?

I'm no expert on flaked wheat, or most other grains, however I would think that you will get the haziness from the flaked wheat that you are wanting since it's mostly proteins that cause the haze, and the proteins will be leached/released from the grain during mashing/steeping. The mouthfeel you're after _might_ be another story. If it's the proteins that contribute mouthfeel (it very well could be) then you may get that attribute as well. Without another grain with high diastatic power the starch cannot be converted to sugars and will remain unused by the yeast (i.e. the starches should mostly settle out over time). I know I've used flaked oats in extract batches in the past to contribute the creamy mouthfeel and it was successful (at least partially).

Actually it looks like honey malt doesn't have any diastatic power. If you want the full potential from the flaked you'd need to use a base malt like 2-row/pale or wheat malt.

I'll leave the advice about steeping the flaked to others, never tried it without mashing.

How much flaked wheat do you have? I'd think that half a pound to as much as a pound might be appropriate to give you the haziness and the head retention that it is known for. You are depending on the extract to give you the fermentables.

Back