Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
When does one add it? what does it do?

I know it clarifies, but how? and when to add it?
thanks

it is just seaweed extract, kind of acts like a protein magnet. Cheap and works great for homebrewers.

It's heavier then the smaller particles in the brew. These smaller particles attract to the Irish Moss and then sink down the bottom right along with them.

I use it in english ales. I add 2 good size pinches 5-10 minutes before the end of the boil.

I have heard that if you use to much that it can affect the flavor but I think that you would have to use ALOT to change the flavor of 5 gal in 10 minutes.

I think that it works pretty well. it's also simple to use.

Dude said:
Why? Essentially the same thing, but the whirlfloc is in tablet form.

essentially - yet different. whirfloc is irish moss and purified carrageenan which - some including myself - would is better than plain irish moss. plus as you mentioned it's in tab form so no need to measure.

Walker-san said:
and more expensive ounce for ounce, too?
I'm pretty sure it is. But I've also heard you only need from 1/4 to 1/2 tablet for a 5g batch, so you can stretch it that way. I bought some just to try, even though I think an aging period at cooler temps is probably the most effective and foolproof clarification technique.

The makers or Star-san also have a clarification product which supposedly works well...I forget the name. It does look like something an enterprising group of individuals could get a container of and divide.

I'm going to try the Whirlfloc, but unless it's a religious experience and I hear Brewpastor's voice coming from the propane flames I'll probably stick with Irish moss and convince myself my beer tastes better for it.

In the secondary, you need to use a fining. This can be gelatin (boiled hide), issenglass (fish guts), polyclar (a plastic compound). Personally, I connect a filter between cornies and force the ale from one tank to the other.

Hey David, Can you suggest any books that deal with more advanced brewing? I Have Papazain's book, but I want some other opinions and viewpoints.

Thanks
-Sean

Back