Biere De Garde on Calvados-soaked Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I can't help but occupy my mind with ambitious brewing ideas and another one came to my mind this week. I'm getting married in June, so I'm thinking of doing a vertical series of beers for my wedding anniversary. I would probably make a new beer every 10 years and try each iteration around the time of my anniversary. I wanted to have one done by my wedding day and I've been on a bit of a Biere De Garde kick lately, so I'm thinking of making the 0 anniversary beer an Imperial Biere De Garde.

But naturally I can't just make this a normal beer. I have to do something fancy to it. Since I am hoping to get a little extra fruitiness and a slight booziness to it, I was thinking Calvados-soaked oak. I have plenty of toasted French Oak cubes, so this seems like a winning situation. But I was hoping to get some input from everyone else here. I've read up a lot on the style, but never actually brewed one, so any advice or suggestions would be very welcome. I planned on using WY2124 at ale temps. The goal is to have a very malty beer with some fruitiness.

0 Anniversary Beer
Size - 4.5 gal (this is as much as my system can handle)
Est. OG - 1.081
Est. ABV - 9%
Est. IBU - 25.5
Est. attenuation - 65%

Pilsner - 7.5 lb
Munich - 2.5 lb
Aromatic malt - 10 oz
Crystal 20 - 10 oz
Biscuit malt - 8 oz
Honey malt - 4 oz

Fuggle (FWH) - 1.25 oz
Fuggle (20M) - 1 oz