Counter flow chiller working too well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbice

Reaction score
Hello y'all. A friend of mine and I built a counter flow chiller in which we are using water from a garden hose. We are experiencing a strong winter and when we use our counter flow chiller the wort is coming out slightly chilled. I pitched the yeast like usual. Is there any need to be concerned about the chill while fermenting? I pitched our yeast starter which was at room temp.

If it is too cold (under your fermentation temp.) then just turn the garden tap down a bit.

What effects on the yeast and fermentation should I expect.

You should see a slower start to the fermentation. You may also get fewer esters produced, as their precursors get made early in the ferment and their production is highly temperature dependent. Esters provide fruity flavours, so the lower production may be a good thing (e.g. lagers, US-style ales) or a bad thing (anything belgian, UK, etc).

Bryan

Some yeast strains will go all peachy when run lower than recommended range (some will start going peachy even at the bottom of their recommended range). US-05 is one of those. I'd find a way to warm the beer up to the recommended running temperature range before pitching...

Cheers!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390371058.324532.jpg

This is day two of fermenting. What do you think? What's the white on the edge in the mid section and lower parts? Is it yeast just clinging to the sides?

I use something like this between the hose and the CFC to control water flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back