National Meadmakers Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be making mead with my BrewClub The Mad Zymurgists.
Will make a batch of the AHA recipe as well as some other recipes.

I think I'll be starting another Marionberry Mead that day as well as a Vanilla Mead.

Our club decided to postpone Make Mead Day until Teach A Friend To Homebrew Day due to the heat.

I'm going with the AHA recipe, but I'm using Agave Nectar in place of the honey. This is due in part to the fact that I have a large quantity of agave nectar on hand and can't justify another honey purchase until I use more of it up! I'm also likely to do a 2 gallon or 3 gallon batch instead of a full five.

I'm also contemplating some Mesquite Honey to make a 1 gallon batch of the Prickly Pear mead from "The Joy of Home Brewing." I know this contradicts my earlier comment about not buying more honey, but Trader Joe's had it for just over $2 a pound a few weeks ago and I would only be doing a small batch. Besides, it would give my lovely wife an excuse to order more of the frozen prickly pear concentrate she used for her spicy prickly pear liquor. :)

Did anyone celebrate on Saturday?

I made 2 gallons; 1 gal. Sweet Dessert Mead & 1 Orange Clove Mead

My girlfriend and I made 1 gallon batches. Mine was orange blossom, and hers was clover honey. She wants to eventually add some fruit to hers. We got to try some 1 year old mead, some 7 year old mead, black walnut, apricot, and a cinnamon mead. We also had some mead-jitos that were delicious.

Here they are after we mixed up the honey and water
5893_670903701610_16906813_40588945_1823724_n.jpg

And a few days later, bubbling away. Cool how they both took off again after adding more nutrients. It seemed like I was adding pop rocks or something.
5893_671575330660_16906813_40621049_4913140_n.jpg

I ended up brewing a batch of Graff and a cherry mead. It was a good day of kicking back, drinking my first year old mead and brewing.

sadly our house is on the market so all my brewing gear is in a storage shed. I had to rush a cheap wine batch to the bottle to get prepared.

SWMBO likes the hobby tho so the next house will have a much more accomodating brewery/winery/meadery.

Latest posts

Back