Wine cooler as lagering fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47clown

Reaction score
So I'm gonna be picking up a haier 20 bottle wine fridge in hopes of getting into some lagering. The thing has a built in digital thermostat with a range of 45-60 degrees F (score) so for 65 bucks i figured i couldn't go wrong. My question is-i see that some beers are lagered a temperatures as low as 35 so does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way of converting this to be able to drop down that low? (i suppose i pickup a $50 thermostat control but i was hoping to maybe do something a little more clever with what i got...)

So I'm gonna be picking up a haier 20 bottle wine fridge in hopes of getting into some lagering. The thing has a built in digital thermostat with a range of 45-60 degrees F (score) so for 65 bucks i figured i couldn't go wrong. My question is-i see that some beers are lagered a temperatures as low as 35 so does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way of converting this to be able to drop down that low? (i suppose i pickup a $50 thermostat control but i was hoping to maybe do something a little more clever with what i got...)

Where did you find that for $65?

If you are thinking of the temperature controller that you plug the unit into, it will not get the temp to go lower, only higher. Think about it, it is interrupting current to the fridge when the temperature gets as low as XX degrees. Now, if you are planning on ripping out the fridge's existing temp controller and replace with a Love unit or something similar, that's a different story, but a lot more work.

True... i saw another thread on here where some guy was able to trick the fridge by placing the temp sensor in an area outside the fridge so it would think it's warmer than it really is. But that really wouldn't get me the control i want. We'll see-i figure since it's so cheap, i can stand to mess around with it.

Back