from the south, everything in a skillet.lol..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
Looking at going to allgrain. I'm looking at a 30qt stainless steel pot, i only make 5 gal batches. It's really thin ,but i'm on a budget and its around $50.00. Ive heard alot about scorching the wort? Would it be possible to place a big cast iron skillet i have already under the pot to help even out the heat? any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the input. skip...

That may work, but if you are going all grain, you will probably need a bigger pot... I have an 8 gallon pot that I can barely fit enough runnings into for good post-boil efficiency. Also, with all-grain, you won't really be that concerned with scorching since you won't have any malt "solids" in your boil. The only time this might be relevant is in a very high gravity beer. For those doing extract, you still shouldn't be adding extract during the boil. It should be removed from the heat for the extract additions.

Latest posts

Back