Help with my Cascade plants...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stblindtiger

Reaction score
Anyone know what is wrong with my Cascade bine? This was the last one to sprout, but everything was going fine until I noticed this discoloration today???

image-3118961371.jpg

Thanks guys... Stan, that last link gave me an idea of what is wrong. I planted 4 hop rhizomes along my fence in my backyard and this was the only one that is showing signs of a problem. When I planted them I watered them with Miracle grow so they should have had the nutrients they needed.

When I read that last link you sent, it made me remember when I planted this particular rhizome I did notice the soil did have a bit of clay... I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but it looks like it is!

Now how to add peat moss to the soil when it is already growing???? Looks like I will have to do a bit of "surgery" in the ground to fix this one?!?!?!?

Take a look at these. They might give you an idea of what and how to do it.

http://www.peatmoss.com/pdf/Horticultural Curriculum - Student.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/about_6798182_peat-moss-clay-soil.html

After doing more research, I think my problem is a combination of over watering and too much phosphorus. I have my yard sprinkler system on a well with a 4 zone valve. Each zone gets watered for 30 minutes. The sprinkler for the hops is before the zone valve, so it has been getting 2 hours of watering. I've now closed the hop sprinkler valve and will have to open when I feel it needs watering. As far as the phosphorus, I sprinkled bone meal on the plants about a month ago. Bone meal is high in phosphorus, which can block the uptake of iron. I'm going to watch the plants for a week or two and see how they do. I may have to add some sort of iron supplement if conditions doesn't improve. I'm also going to find a fertilizer with low or no phosphorus and use that when need be. I've check my soil for ph and fertilizer with an electronic soil ph meter I bought at Lowe's. My ph is just shy of 6, which is good and my fertilizer shows in the good zone. So I know those two are not the problem.

Thanks again Stan!

I performed the "surgery" today, but it was more of a butchering rather than a surgery! I ended up breaking off two of the longer sprouts, and was left with just one sprout after I put some fresh nutrient rich (including peat moss) top soil along the one side of the rhizome.

After I got rid of most of the predominantly clay soil along half of the rhizome, I replaced the clay with the fresh top soil, and watered with miracle grow. The leaves of the smaller sprout that was left were already starting to turn green an hour or so after watering them. Hopefully, breaking off the two bigger shoots will help the rhizome focus on root development and growing into that fresh top soil I added along side of it.

Hopefully I didn't kill it either!

Of all the plants for this to happen to, I'm glad it was the Cascade though... from what I've heard they are the most resilient and easiest to grow. Time will tell though...

Hmmmn, Bad for me.

I just stuck a bundle of cascade rhizomes in the ground here too. I have a lot of clay.

I might have to make myself a raised bed.

Well, here's a couple of pic of my Cascades. They shows what I think is iron deficiency. The second one also shows some the damage the snails did.

img6475e.jpg

img6474n.jpg

I bought some chelated liquid iron and some fish emulsion fertilizer to see if they would help fix my problems.

img6479t.jpg

The chelated liquid iron also contains copper, manganese and zinc, which are other deficiency symptoms as noted in this article:

http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=

I watered the roots with the iron on Monday. Yesterday a mixed some up and sprayed it on the leaves as well as fertilizing with the fish emulsions. The iron directions say I can spray the leaves again in a couple of weeks. I hope this helps. Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos in a few weeks that show improvements.

My lower leaves were looking similar and the growth had slowed. I had some leftover Scotts GREEN MAX Southern Lawn Fertilizer which has extra iron so I sprinkled about a tablespoons worth around the plant area. The lower leaves look about the same but the growth was over a foot last week. I also have started seeing some extra buds or leaves near the existing leaves.

Well I think I killed mine!

I had one little bine left after I tried to fix the soil a bit, and the next day my daughter tried to "help" me and watered it while I was at work... LOL... she broke what was left off at ground level! Gotta love her, her heart was in the right place... Ah well... my Chinook, Zeus, and Centennial seem to be doing well at least!

Any Idea what is up with my Cascade? All my other hops are doing just fine and i haven't done anything different to any of them. Used mostly good organic soil mixed with mushroom and bat compost.

Cascade leaf.jpg

hops.jpg

Any Idea what is up with my Cascade? All my other hops are doing just fine and i haven't done anything different to any of them. Used mostly good organic soil mixed with mushroom and bat compost.

It's really hard to say exactly. I know I definitely have/had an iron deficiency. You have some sort of chlorosis, just not sure what kind. It's weird that it is only affecting your Cascade hop plants. Does this affect all of your Cascades or just one Cascade plant? I would say go back and look at all the links I posted. Then start with one thing, like iron, or nitrogen, etc, if that's what you think the problem is. Here's a couple of more links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_deficiency_(plant_disorder)

Back