adding hops to recipe kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman2646

Reaction score
I have a few extract brew days under my belt now and I'm wanting to start expanding my horizons on brewing recipes. I ordered the Sinistral Warrior IPA kit from NB and was wondering if adding extra oz. of Yakima Magnum at the begining of the bowl and extra oz. of Centennial at mid boil would be a good or bad idea to the recipe below. All the help i could get would be great.

Thanks.

Also what is a good muslin bag substitute.

Specialty Grains
12 oz. Briess Caramel 40
4 oz. Briess Caramel 80

Fermentables
3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)

Boil Additions
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
Dry Hop
2 oz. Warrior (0 min)

So you are wanting to up the already 1 oz. of Yakima (what is the alpha acid % in Yakima?) to 2 oz. and boil for 60 min, and then add another ounce of Centennial (I use this and mine is about 9.7%) at 15 min. Welllll, it depends upon your taste. It is going to make this a MUCH hoppier brew...

What taste change are you looking for? Is this particular recipe one you have made before and want something different out of it?

You can use Nylon bags instead of muslin bags.

So you are wanting to up the already 1 oz. of Yakima (what is the alpha acid % in Yakima?) to 2 oz. and boil for 60 min, and then add another ounce of Centennial (I use this and mine is about 9.7%) at 15 min. Welllll, it depends upon your taste. It is going to make this a MUCH hoppier brew...

What taste change are you looking for? Is this particular recipe one you have made before and want something different out of it?

I've never made said recipe before but i have some what of an emeril lagasse syndrome and i want to kick it up a notch. I'm a hop head but i don't want to go over board.

Heh, gotcha... hop head is good... I'm one of these subtle changes guys :) You can certainly experiment and kick it up a notch! Personally I'd first taste and brew the style so I knew what I was trying to kick up. If I knew the alpha of that Japanese? hop I could put the original recipe in beer smith and tell you the IBU's before and after you 'tweeked' it. But it seems pretty darn hoppy to begin with to me :) ...

I'd brew it first and then craft it. If you must do some bammin' throw in 1 tsp of Irish Moss at 15 min, this can be fun and you can yell BAM when you do it..

Is the recipe you posted the kit or the kit with your suggested additions? It looks like it's the kit (otherwise there would be no 60 min addition). Adding the Centennial at 30 min is definitely going to hop it up a good bit. I think another ounce of magnum at 60 min is going to push the limits of keeping the beer balanced. You probably want to keep it in the 40 - 65 IBU range with that gravity. If you really want to add another ounce of magnum at 60, I would also add the 6 lbs of LME in the beginning to reduce some of the utilization. That... or first wort hop your specialty grains with both ounces of magnum.

idk - as earlier stated, you might want to make it once and then alter. It's kind of like adding salt to a meal before you even taste it...

I think the recipe looks good as is. Making it more bitter is unlikely to improve it. I understand wanting to experiment, but the beer looks like the bittering/specific gravity is already leaning towards bitter and adding more hops probably won't be good.

To liken it to Emeril, if you're making spaghetti sauce and 1 teaspoon of oregano is good, 6 teaspoons won't improve it. It'll just make it taste more strongly of oregano. Same with more bittering hops. It'll just make it more bitter, not better.

I'd make the recipe as is, and when it's done, you may want to use some of the centennial for dry hopping instead of, or in addition to the 2 ounces of warrior.

Latest posts

Back