"Little Brother" brau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre the giant

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed a Spiced Strong English Ale (which I will call the "Big Beer") yesterday that included something like 15 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch. I sparged until the kettle was full, checked the SG of the runoff, and it was still 1.030. I didn't want to waste a good opportunity, SO, I kept sparging into another kettle until the runoff read 1.010. I ended up with a couple gallons of wort.

When the big beer was done chilling, I took a gravity reading and it turns out I overshot the gravity a bit. It was at 1.080 (1.010 over the target), so I removed a litre or two of the wort, (poured it into the little brother brew to raise it's gravity) and then poured a litre or so of boiled/cooled water into the big beer. While chilling and pitching, little brother was boiling away outside. I threw some hops in, not really knowing what to add to make this a balanced beer, or if that's even possible.

When I was done I had 5 gallons of big beer, and 2.5 gallons of little brother sitting side by side. Little brother has a gravity of around 1.027, so I'm thinking I could label it as Low Alcohol when it's done. I don't know if it will be any good, or even worth the effort, but it didn't cost much to make.

Anyone else tried something like this? How did it turn out?

i haven't, but a guy in my HBC brewed an Imperial Stout with his first wort run-off, then did a regular stout with the remaining run-off. both came out good. tasted 'em both at our meeting this past Thursday. he added distilled water to the regular stout, and still was at his target gravities. (he does 10 gallon batches though.....)

i'm sure yours will come out good too.

Latest posts

Back