Secondary fermentation yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chombo

Reaction score
So i know i have another thread about yeast washing and sanitation but i have more questions about yeast...

i have just racked my brew to secondary because there was about a gallon of troub/orange peel/hops at the bottom, and i was absolutely sure i got none (or a ridiculously small amount) of it into secondary. however about 8 hours later there is about an inch and a half of white creamy stuff at the bottom. im going to go ahead and assume its all yeast, would i be correct? i would have thought by this point the majority of the yeast would have settled out in primary and am wondering how this much would have got kicked around while i was siphoning.

anyhow its very white and creamy looking and no layers, all white throughout. could all this be mostly yeast?

i have never racked to secondary before, i only did it this time so i could ditch the troub and wash whatever yeast i could get out of it.

Also just curious on everyone's opinion on washing yeast from secondary, yay or nay? im only leaving it in secondary for 3 days...

Washing yeast from the secondary isn't recommended because you're selecting yeast that is less flocculent than what's in the primary. Even if a portion of that was yeast that was sucked up when you transferred, it would still be better to wash what was in the primary rather than that.

Back