Primary vs bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hello all I have been using a 4 week primary for the last few batches and the beer has been great. However, I brewed 2 batches last weekend an American Light and a Holiday Ale and now want to get more batches underway. If I bottle at the 10 day mark and let the bottles condition for 3-5 weeks can I expect the same quality? Is time in the primary the same as time in the bottle as far as taste? I know I can not expect the same amount of clearing.

Thanks all

the beer will be just as good. Just make sure that primary fermentation is complete so you don't get bottle bombs. you can take a gravity reading to see if you have reached your expected FG. I leave all my normal gravity beers in the primary for 2 weeks and then bottle and condition for at least 2 weeks before drinking.

you need more primaries in my book!! it may be ok, but i like to let all of mine sit a month now in the primary. i have 4 primaries, so i make 2 primaries amonth nw and still let them sit a month in the bottles. i also have a pipeline out the ass. i also drink bourbon in the cooler monthes or buy some craft brews just for the bottles.

time is your friend making homebrews. let them sit longer. you'll be glad you did.

Back