Stuck Runoff problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmario47

Reaction score
I have a problem with stuck runoffs lately, I have been using a false bottom screen in a 10 gallon cooler. I was wondering what is the best way to strain the wort from the grains without getting a stuck runoff when batch sparging. Does anyone have any ideas on what is the best technique to use? Copper pipe manifold, steel braided screen, or any other ideas?

Thank you

I use a stainless steel braid and have had good luck. That said I also always add a handful of rice hulls and as a result I have never had a stuck mash.

False bottoms are great for fly sparging. Not so much for batch sparging. If you drain too quickly, the grain bed tends to compact.

I batch sparge and use a 12 gallon cooler with a cpvc manifold.

I use a braided hose and rice hulls. Sometimes it runs off a bit slow, but I rarely have a stuck sparge, and when I do, it's very easy to fix By just stirring the grain bed and vorlaufing again.

Thanks everyone for the input. I may go with the braided steel hose it seems to be one of the most efficient and less likely to have a stuck runoff.

I have used both and both have given me some issues. I'm still learning. Though now I'm giving the manifold in a bag a shot.

Back