Boil Kettle Drain Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I need to decide where to place the drain in my BK. The BK is a keggle and so it has a slightly rounded bottom. I also want to whirlpool to get out some of the break and hop material.

Would it be fine to place the drain on the very edge of the bottom of the keggle? If whirlpooled correctly, would I then be able to drain without a dip tube?

Bottom placement would be fine with the stand that I am making.

i still use a dip tube (malleable copper tubing) but have it over to the side to try to limit the amount of trub that gets into the fermenter. i still get a decent amount, but there is always a nice cone of trub where my whirlpool IC sits, so i'd say the majority of it is left behind. i usually end up with .5 - .75 gallons left in the keggle on purpose.

I assume then that you are an electric brewer and not propane? Propane would be a problem spewing fire all over your drain, wouldn't it?

Sounds fine to me! If I were starting from scratch with my keggle for an electric system, a drain on the bottom near the side sounds ideal to me. As it is, I am converting my system over to electric, so I already have a drain installed on the side.

No idea if you would want or need a dip-tube with it there, but I think android has the right idea with using a piece of bendable copper tubing to make one so that you can place the inlet of the tube wherever you want after tinkering with it some.

I did my drain directly in the bottom of the keg (New rig actually will use the Sanke fitting, cutting the bottom out of the keg) Then I have a false bottom over that, catches almost all of the hops (I use whole hops) I also recirculate into the kettle to drop the temp quickly on the batch (usually to 180 or so) then out to the fermenter, this helps catch break material in the hops over the false bottom. I also get as much wort as possible from the batch.

Back