What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I brewed an impromptu batch of ale a few weeks ago when I was stuck at home, sick with a cold. I was zooted on cold medicine and feeling fancy free, so I decided to basically take random stuff from the "extra ingredients box" and just brew it. So....I ended up with this recipe:

.4 lbs. Crystal Malt 120°L
2.4 lbs. Alexanders Pale Liquid
2.4 lbs. Alexanders Wheat Liquid
.75 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Crystal (Pellets, 3.25 %AA) boiled 20 min.
.25 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 20 min.
.5 oz. Crystal (Pellets, 3.25 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP002 English Ale

I brewed the wort as usually, except I added the wheat LME with 25 min left in the boil. I pitched it onto a FAT yeast cake from a previous ESB and it fermented through, at ~65 degrees, in about 2 days. Left it in primary for 2 weeks total and bottled as usual. After further thought, I was not very enthusiastic about how it would turn out....

...But it's tasty! I had the first one last night and literally did a double take at the pint before me (as well as a mental, "whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?!").

So does anybody have an opinion on what "style" this might fall into?

Monk said:
I brewed an impromptu batch of ale a few weeks ago when I was stuck at home, sick with a cold. I was zooted on cold medicine and feeling fancy free, so I decided to basically take random stuff from the "extra ingredients box" and just brew it. So....I ended up with this recipe:

.4 lbs. Crystal Malt 120°L
2.4 lbs. Alexanders Pale Liquid
2.4 lbs. Alexanders Wheat Liquid
.75 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Crystal (Pellets, 3.25 %AA) boiled 20 min.
.25 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 20 min.
.5 oz. Crystal (Pellets, 3.25 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP002 English Ale

I brewed the wort as usually, except I added the wheat LME with 25 min left in the boil. I pitched it onto a FAT yeast cake from a previous ESB and it fermented through, at ~65 degrees, in about 2 days. Left it in primary for 2 weeks total and bottled as usual. After further thought, I was not very enthusiastic about how it would turn out....

...But it's tasty! I had the first one last night and literally did a double take at the pint before me (as well as a mental, "whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?!").

So does anybody have an opinion on what "style" this might fall into?

"Hop Suey"

I've been referring to it as "grandma's closet ale" because it's been bottle conditioning in the closet that used to belong to my grandmother and still has a bunch of old-lady clothes in it (that incidentally smell like beer, now).

Monk said:
I've been referring to it as "grandma's closet ale" because it's been bottle conditioning in the closet that used to belong to my grandmother and still has a bunch of old-lady clothes in it (that incidentally smell like beer, now).

I knew it! He's Green Guy.

Back