Caution for those of us using "Feed store" grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckjohn

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted to throw a little recent experience out there with my last batch of feed store Corn for all grain beer I am working on....

I was pouring it into my Barley crusher -- noticed some funny round looking seeds mixed in... Hey -- these don't look like corn.... I always look it over good to catch the usual rocks and sticks....

Sure enough -- looks like it has a small amount of Morning glory/bind weed seed mixed in.... 5 seeds per pound or so.... The grains look like a round Bean -- and the size makes them run through the same screens as the corn.... but you sure don't want that stuff in your beer... and you certainly would never be able to visually pick it out after it's cracked....

I won't stop buying grain at the feed stores -- the price of feed grain is just too good.... but I will be more picky before I pour it into my crusher.... Pick out the stuff that doesn't belong....

I am sure the real "Food Grade" stuff you buy at the LHBS is a totally different purity level.... but it also costs 10-20x more....

Thanks

John

I've found all sorts of things in malt; mostly rocks, sticks, vines, etc. One of the more interesting things I found was a split green pea out of a sack of 2-Row.

I've heard that morning glory seeds are like LSD - is that what you're referring to? I wouldn't think such a small amount of seeds would make any difference at all - like putting a single marijuana bud in a whole batch of beer.

I am sure the real "Food Grade" stuff you buy at the LHBS is a totally different purity level.... but it also costs 10-20x more....

I think most of us are OK with that, knowing it means we aren't getting something that has only passed inspection for animal consumption, i.e. mouse body parts, other feed seeds/grains, etc. Why take a chance when even brewing grain is so cheap in bulk?

I've heard that morning glory seeds are like LSD - is that what you're referring to? I wouldn't think such a small amount of seeds would make any difference at all - like putting a single marijuana bud in a whole batch of beer.

While a tiny little trip may not sound too bad, Morning Glory is highly toxic with the seeds being the most concentrated source. Even a few seeds could possibility lead to dizziness, diarrhea, or headaches. high enough doses are deadly and as with any natural product guessing how much is too much is a deadly game. I wouldn't want a single seed anywhere near anything I was consuming.

Hold up.... We can use feed grain?

My father in-law works at a CO-OP. So I have a great connection.

Does feed grain make good beer?

Honestly, now that I have a barley crusher -- I am going to buy my malt un-crushed... As you said -- may as well pull out the sticks and trash before it goes in the beer.... The guys at the LHBS certainly don't look at it at all before it goes through the crusher....

Yep.. Un-malted plain 'ole Grain.... Stores pretty well.. in fact it stores FAR better than crushed grain ever will...

As Gila mentioned -- it is an Adjunct mash... you gotta crush the grain, then boil it to gelatinize, then mash it with a proper malt... In my case, all I had laying around was a plain 2-row Pilsner malt that doesn't seem to be particularly powerful enzyme wise.... I am still fooling around with Time/Temperature and amount of Malt per amount of Adjunct -- I had to mash it 2x to get a good conversion....

Thanks

John

Just how much adjunct grain are you using? Pilsner malt is very high in enzymes and should easily convert half again it's own weight in starchy enzymes.

While a tiny little trip may not sound too bad, Morning Glory is highly toxic with the seeds being the most concentrated source. Even a few seeds could possibility lead to dizziness, diarrhea, or headaches. high enough doses are deadly and as with any natural product guessing how much is too much is a deadly game. I wouldn't want a single seed anywhere near anything I was consuming.

So if they are used in a recipe it will give new meaning to "Oh Sh!* Beer!"

Just how much adjunct grain are you using? Pilsner malt is very high in enzymes and should easily convert half again it's own weight in starchy enzymes.

That probably has something to do with it....

My grain bill had ratios of 2 lbs corn, 1 lb rye, 1 lb Malted barley, and a little hops....... Next time, I will probably go double again the malted barley.... I just like the flavor with more corn and rye and less malted barley.... It has a nice grain/rye flavor to me...

Thanks

John

Back