non-alcohol beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
my father doesn't drink any more he will drink non alcohol beers like kaliber and i was wondering is there a way homebrewers can make a batch of non alcohol beers?

Do a google search for it on the boards. The general consensus is that yes, you can, but it is overly difficult and expensive to do so.

Do a google search for it on the boards. The general consensus is that yes, you can, but it is overly difficult and expensive to do so.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.;)
Here ya go gumby BYO - Brew A Great Non-Alcoholic Beer

Would he drink a 3.0% ABV beer? That's difficult but very doable and will taste a lot more like real beer than one that's been heated to drive off alcohol. You might be able to get down to 2.6% ABV and still have a good beer.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.;)
Here ya go gumby BYO - Brew A Great Non-Alcoholic Beer

thanks i'll have to do this to part of my current batch once done fermenting. thanks for the link great info.

Would he drink a 3.0% ABV beer? That's difficult but very doable and will taste a lot more like real beer than one that's been heated to drive off alcohol. You might be able to get down to 2.6% ABV and still have a good beer.

unfortunately not. he drinks kaliber right now because its the only non-alcoholic beer with flavor that he's found. so i figured i see if i could make him a nice full flavored non-alcohic beer myself.

he used to brew himself and loved the dark ales and hefewiezens so next time i'll brew a dark ale or stout and make some with no alcohol for him.

Heating beer to remove the alcohol isn't that big a problem. If the style requires a high level of hop flavor/aroma, you can make hop teas & dry hop, after the removal.

I know this is an old thread but I'm currently reading up on this. From what I have read, 30% of commercially brewed beer tested that reports to be 0.0% or less than 0.5% are higher, up to 1.5%. So even the pros have a hard time making an "non-alcoholic" beer. Homebrewers looking to make an 'non-alcoholic" beer can bake their fermented beer to get a more controllable temp, holding it at or above 173.5 F, usually 175 F for 15 to 30 minutes to drive off the alcohol and then force carbonate to keep the alcohol low. But there is no way to know if you've just created a 0.0 beer or a a beer half of the original AVB unless you send it to a lab. The longer you bake it, the lower the AVB and the greater the impact on flavor.

You can make a great tasting low AVB beer by mashing at 160 F and end up with a 3% beer depending on you type and amount of grist but some may say it is too sweet so a complex recipe helps if you like other spices or flavors added in.

Back