Aeration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewn4life

Reaction score
I know not to air rate over 80deg., but when I air rate I get a lot of foam on top and I have to quit air rating because it will over flow heavy. So I was wondering is it ok to let the foam settle back in and is there any thing I can put in to cut back the foaming issue itself??

Look into a product called Fermcap. It's supposed to cut down on the foam. I haven't tried it myself yet but I plan to get some next time I get the chance.

Once you get that much foam, you have aerated enough. The foam you create before fermentation will decrease head retention. Too much aeration is not good either.

Cool thanks,
Fermcap, Ill try it, but I want to make sure that i am aerating properly first. I have an air stone attached to a air pump that was used as my daughters inhale thing. I am thinking that maybe I have to big of an air pump. Like this thing puts out some air LOL....Maybe get a small valve for it.....probably just spend $5 and get a small fish pump!!

Latest posts

Back