Mixing Yeast Strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
Is it possible to mix yeast strains when pitching?

I have this extra WhiteLabs Trappist Ale yeast vile sitting around. I'm considering brewing up another high grav. belgian, and will more than likely have a vile of WhiteLabs Belgian Ale yeast at my disposal too. Is it possible to mix the two yeast strains upon pitching? Is there any reason that I shouldn't do this?

5gB

Like this?

WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend
A blend of Trappist type yeast (2) and one Belgian ale type yeast. This creates a versatile blend that can be used for Trappist type beer, or a myriad of beers that can be described as 'Belgian type'.

The only problem I've seen when mixing strains is the yeast flocculating like a box of rocks because the two strains stick to each other. I doubt you'll have that problem with those two.

I've mixed and ale with a lage yeast.

I let it ferment for about 24 hours at room temp then place it in the cold for a couple more days. Bring it back inside and record some specs and rack if the gravity is down. Place the carboy back into the cold for another week or 2.

Back