Smoked Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
I'm throwing together what I think would be a nice fall beer....a balanced Amber ale with a touch of smoke. Here's what I've thrown together so far:

8 lbs Maris Otter Malt
1 lb Munich
8 oz Crystal 40
8 oz Crystal 80
12 oz Weyermann Rauch Malt

Shooting for OG 1.052. I plan to mash at 155 to keep some body in this beer.

Hops:
60 min 1.25 oz Styrian Goldings
20 min 1 oz Fuggles
5 min .75oz Styrian Goldings

Shooting for about 30 IBUs

Fermenting with wlp028 (Scottish ale yeast) as to accentuate the malt profile.

My main concern is with the Rauchmalt. I want it to be noticeable but not overpowering. I've been bouncing around between 8oz up to 1.5lbs, but I've not used rauch in any "subtle" way before. Thoughts?

I did up a Smoked Amber recently...at the tail end of bottle conditioning now, so haven't had a final taste, but the sample at bottling was quite yummy. Here's what I threw into a 5gal. batch:

32oz Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt
32oz Weyermann Smoked Malt
16.2oz Munich Malt
12.8oz Simpsons Dark Crystal Malt (~75L)
12oz Crystal Malt 60L
10.1oz Belgian Biscuit Malt
2.5oz CaraHell Malt
5.6oz CarPils Malt
2oz Simpsons Chocolate Malt
6# Briess Light LME (repackaged by MoreBeer)
0.7oz Warrior Hops @ 17.2% @ 60min.
0.6oz Strisselspalt Hops @ 2.9% @ 10min.
0.02oz Warrior Hops @ 17.2% @ 10min.
WY1338 European Ale
fined with gelatin (forgot to toss in the whirlfloc)
OG = 1.063

Two days after the transfer to secondary, I siphoned off 1.5gal. onto 3# of fresh-harvested flash-frozen and then pasteurized highbush blueberries (from the farm I work at) and 1tsp. mixed dried roasted hot peppers from my own garden. These will take longer to bottle condition, but the color is beautiful!

A true rauschbier can be 100% smoked malts....my recipe with 2# of the intense Briess cherrywood malt and 2# of the mellower beechwood malt from Weyermann is still far from overpowering (from the pre-bottling sample). Should be sampling the non-berried version soon....

The last smoked beer I did was Biermuncher's Smoked Porter and I used about 50% weyermann rauch malt. I liked it, but it was a LOT of smoke. For this I was trying to keep it more subtle.

How smokey is your sample? With 4lbs I'd think it'd dominate the flavor.

I wrote a recipe for a smoked and Oaked porter. I spoke with Jamil Zainasheff who tells me 20% smoked malt is the magic number for a base robust porter. I'm going to try that and see how it goes.

[email protected]

How smokey is your sample? With 4lbs I'd think it'd dominate the flavor.

It worked out to 14.5% of each of the two smoked malts. The sample I had was at bottling, so I would imagine that some carbonation will increase the smokiness (particularly the lingering quality of the smoke). I was trying for an amber ale that had a very forward smoky flavor (for fall BBQing) - I'm actually hoping that the carbonation bumps it up a bit more. The two malts were very distinct. The cherrywood malt (which smells like an open-pit BBQer uncrushed and still sealed in plastic) if quite up-front, providing a strong nose. the flavors are noticable in stages...I first noticed the cherrywood smoke at the front half of my tongue, immediately followed by the moderate-to-light unsmoked malt flavor in the center/back. The Weyermann malt is apparent in the finish, as it seems to wipe the intensity of the cherrywood malt back to something with a cleaner less-bold finish. It was only a small sample, but I got the impression that this isn't going to be a beer that builds to overwhelming as you finish a pint or two...

It worked out to 14.5% of each of the two smoked malts. The sample I had was at bottling, so I would imagine that some carbonation will increase the smokiness (particularly the lingering quality of the smoke). I was trying for an amber ale that had a very forward smoky flavor (for fall BBQing) - I'm actually hoping that the carbonation bumps it up a bit more. The two malts were very distinct. The cherrywood malt (which smells like an open-pit BBQer uncrushed and still sealed in plastic) if quite up-front, providing a strong nose. the flavors are noticable in stages...I first noticed the cherrywood smoke at the front half of my tongue, immediately followed by the moderate-to-light unsmoked malt flavor in the center/back. The Weyermann malt is apparent in the finish, as it seems to wipe the intensity of the cherrywood malt back to something with a cleaner less-bold finish. It was only a small sample, but I got the impression that this isn't going to be a beer that builds to overwhelming as you finish a pint or two...

Man, that sounds really complex and nice! Im going for a similar gig with my smoked/oaked porter. Id like the smoke to come though in the middle and Id like the oak complexity in the finish.

Back