Using utensils straight from the dishwasher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
As the title asks, can I use utensils straight from the dishwasher in my beer without further sanitizing? Assuming heat dry, but with all regular dishes in there too.

Another good question...Let's say that certain dish washers have a storage reservoir in the door of the dishwasher that stores jet dry no spot rinse agent. Once filled the reservoir will hold enough for probably 30 or more washes.

Will the jet dry agent ruin the head of the beer or cause off flavors if used on brewing equipment or bottles?

Jet dry agent is known to cause problems with head retention (probably no off flavors). I wash my beer glasses in the dishwasher, and do feel that head is affected. In the end, I'll probably burn in hexx for doing this.

As for pulling equipment directly from the dishwasher, I would recommend no unless it's going to be used in the boil stage. My dishwasher at least always seems to have little bits of wet food and residue hanging around. Best bet is to remove from dishwasher, rinse, and spray down with some Starsan.

Back