Lager head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Following instructions to the letter on lager kits, very careful sanitation of all equipment have tried all sugar and fifty fifty mix of sugar and dried malt extract, always getting a poor if any head on my lager, accurately measure sugar.for each bottle definitely getting good carbonation but rubbish head, any ideas please?

Few questions to help diagnose:
1: how long are you letting them carbonate?
2: what are your cleaning procedures for glasses and bottles?
3: have you had successful carbonation with other beers?
4: did you lager before bottling and if so did you add more yeast at bottling?
5: would help to have more info on the kit. All grain, extract, recipe, additives used, etc.

Following instructions to the letter on lager kits, very careful sanitation of all equipment have tried all sugar and fifty fifty mix of sugar and dried malt extract, always getting a poor if any head on my lager, accurately measure sugar.for each bottle definitely getting good carbonation but rubbish head, any ideas please?

I have a suspicion that you aren't making a lager, but instead a lager kit that is actually an ale? Normally, ingredients like simple sugar make a thin bodied beer, and you won't get decent head retention with a "kit & kilo" type kit with prehopped liquid extract and sugar.

Normally, good head comes with proteins in the ingredients. Steeping some grains in the wort like crystal malt, flaked wheat, and so on will provide color, flavor, and the proteins needed for head retention.

I'd say to try a different type of ingredient base if you wanted to make a more complete beer. Dry malt extract, some grains, hops, and yeast (no sugar!) are the usual ingredients.

If I understand you right you are using the all sugar and the mix for priming, correct?

To even take a stab at figuring anything out we would need to see the recipe and a brief rundown on fermentation times and temps.

Back