Help me design an Abbey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireloo

Reaction score
The little woman (sorry...I prefer that to SWMBO cause I don't usually obey anyone I can whip) :D, wants me to brew a beer she'll like.

Problem is, I want to like it too because besides being sexist, I'm also selfish. I'm pretty much the total package.

Luckily we both like Belgian Abbey / Trappist Ales.

So I've assembled some ingredients as follows:
8 lbs. Belgian Pilsen
2 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. Caramunich
1 lb. Caravienne
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Special B
1/2 lb. 10 deg. Caramel
1/2 lb. clear candi sugar
3/4 lb. unrefined cane sugar
1 lb. corn sugar

Mind you, I'm not saying I plan to use all these fermentables. This is what I have to choose from.
The color needs to be pretty light, otherwise she'll pre-judge the beer as "too strong" before tasting. She seems to like trippels, though I don't have enough fermentables for one, nor do I need 8-9% ABV.

My suitable hop inventory includes:
1.5% Hallertau
Spalt
Saaz
Styrian Golding

A single 60 min. hop addition of 1 oz. 4-6% hops seems to be customary, yes?

My plan for yeast is to cultivate from a bottle of Chimay.
If unable, I have a packet of Safbrew T-58.

I've done some research and have a good idea on a recipe now but really want some input from you all.
I've been brewing for about a year and a half and this Abbey will be my fourth all grain brew.
I've been lurking and learning here at HBT since starting the hobby (that word really falls short doesn't it?) and most of my success as a homebrewer is due to everyone asking and answering questions here.

All advice appreciated. BREW ON:mug:

1. If you use all that special b, you're going to be looking at a pretty dark beer. I'm not sure on the lovibond rating of the caramunich, but I'd look into that too.

2. What is the point in 3 types of sugar?

3. Those hallertau are very low AA. If you're going to use them, you'll need at least 3 ounces to get into a normal range for this beer.

4. I'd shoot for a belgian pale. With what you have to work with there, you're not going to get too much more out of it. You don't have all the specialty grains I'd like to use for one, but look around and see what you find.

Latest posts

Back