Liquid malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmballantine

Reaction score
I just read on the container that it should be refrigerated? Anyone know how long they last at room temp or if anything happens to them if they are not refrigerated? I have a 7lb amber and 7lb hefe kit at the house now, just wanted to figure out if they should be in the fridge. Thanks!

I have always stored my lme at room temp. What brand of lme do you have? Maybe the kit was referring to the yeast and hops?

If the container is sealed, room temperature is fine. If it's opened, you should refrigerate it. From Briess's literature:

LME &#8212; Store at temperatures <90°F to avoid color development and possible sensory changes. Storing in a cool, dark location helps to minimize this effect. We recommend using liquid malt extracts within 24 months from the date of manufacture for top flavor and color utilization. Store opened containers at cool temperatures to help deter the growth of mold.

I always store LME & yeast in the fridge. Hops in the freezer. Dry stuff in the pantry. This keeps everything fresher till used.

Also, I'm not sure whether a jug of LME repackaged by the HBS should be counted as opened or not. I know the extracts I've bought have been repackaged from bulk containers. They should probably be treated as opened. I doubt there's any drawback (other than fridge space) to storing it cooler than necessary.

It keeps the LME from darkening & flavors changing like it would stored warm. Being in the fridge slows all that way down. Keeping things fresh is an important part of this hobby.

It keeps the LME from darkening & flavors changing like it would stored warm. Being in the fridge slows all that way down. Keeping things fresh is an important part of this hobby.

Well, according to the manufacturer, unless it's been opened, it's not necessary. Presumably that means there's not enough oxygen in a factory-sealed container to worry about oxidation.

I don't completely believe that. I got a 2 year old Cooper's OS lager can from the lhbs that was on the shelf. It darkened & the flavor changed to the "summer ale" pic in my gallery. It can be compared to the normal one in the pic "HB1". It came out looking & tasting like a session ale version of Salvator. And the can wasn't swollen or moldy. From then on,into the fridge they go. The color & flavor will change over time faster on the shelf than in the fridge.

Also, I'm not sure whether a jug of LME repackaged by the HBS should be counted as opened or not. I know the extracts I've bought have been repackaged from bulk containers. They should probably be treated as opened. I doubt there's any drawback (other than fridge space) to storing it cooler than necessary.

I would say yes, extract bought from Northern Brewer, AHS, etc should be stored in the fridge. I'm almost certain they advise it.

Thanks for all of the advice. It's some extra pale liquid malt from Austin homebrew supply. I'll put it in the fridge!

Back