Grocery store Irish Moss/Islinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanzela

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was at a local grocer the other day (really, it's more of a convenience store) and noted that they had an interesting selection of Caribbean food products. Always on the lookout for cheap versions of homebrew products, I noticed that they had both Irish moss and Islinglass, both at a very cheap price.I've never used either of these fining agents, but from what I've seen at homebrew shops, they typically come in some sort of modified format (dehydrated, powdered, liquified...).

This irish moss was 'whole' or raw, and looked like clear, sandy seaweed.
angel_brand_irishmoss_2oz_sm.jpg
The Islinglass were essentially dehydrated but intact bladders; they look like little sheets of cellophane.
angel_brand_isinglass_sm.jpg

Both were 'Angel Brand'.

I wondered if anyone has used these products, or something similar (i.e. in a more 'raw' format) for fining, and whether or not they've had luck. I considered buying the islinglass and just tossing a couple of full bladders in one of my carboys, but I didn't want to do so unadvised. Can these be used? Is modification needed?

Thanks!!

Well, that's interesting, but not sure if you'd really be saving money. You can get whirlfloc tablets for about 15 cents each and use either a whole or half tab for five gallons. Pretty cheap in the overaall scheme of things.

Sure why not, I buy the plain gelatin all the time at the grocery store to use, its usually about .75 cents as apposed to the 2.00 bucks the homebrew store sell it for. Use as is.

Back