My last bottle of Pilsner is done!!! (so what warm weather light, crisp beer?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
I've been having fun brewing from extract and steeping grains. Did an Extra Strong Bitter, an Amber Ale, a Pale Ale, a Pilsner and have an Amber in the fermentation bucket..

I like Pale Ale. I really liked the Pilsner, and the last bottle was crisp, clean, clear. Just really tasty. I hated to see it go, but really enjoyed drinking it after mowing the lawn, putting down weed 'n feed, putting down pesticides, then clearing downed branches. Yep, it was just the ticket. But was also the last ticket until it gets cold again. Darn.

I'm weighing between a Wheat beer and a California Common for the next brew. Question is - how close can you get to a crisp, clean lager in warmer temps? I can keep my fermentation bucket around 65, maybe bring it down to 62 with a little extra care (doing the cooler deal). But I don't have a dorm fridge and probably wont get one soon. So there will be no lagering at 34 degrees.

So - how close can I get to a Pilsner using California Lager yeast strains? I don't want to wait until the winter for another lager - and my garage in Georgia gets kind of warm. Is it too warm for a Kolsch?

What are my choices for a tasty Pilsner-like substance with low to mid 60's temps (provided I can keep up with changing out frozen water bottles in my cooler)?

Just finished a Kolsch and the taste is awesome at only 4 weeks. Fermentation was 65 with White Labs Kolsch yeast. It is similar to pils

I picked up a huge cooler over the weekend (I like camping, so can use it for that as well). I stood it up and put my Amber in it. Amber was in a swamp cooler at 65, then down to 62, then I put a lot of ice in the swamp cooler and got it to 50. Since I picked up the big cooler, I put in a large frozen 2 liter soda bottle and a couple ice packs. It's holding at 50.

I'll see how low I can get it with swapping out a 2 liter soda bottle every few days. If I can get it down to 40, and staying at 40 without too much hassle, then it's Kolsch time!

The Amber is done fermenting. I'm just seeing if I can get it cold and hold it cold for a while without messing with ice bottles all the time.

Back