Is it possible to have to much heat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheelz

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a propane burner for a full boil in my garage instead of the partial boil on my electric stove top that I'd been using.

When I crank up the gas I can get some wicked flames shooting out and up the side of my brew kettle :rockin:

My question is, do I need to heat slowly? or should I crank it full blast when I'm trying to get up to my boil? what about during the boil? is there such a thing as too much of a rolling boil?

I'm not sure if I need worry about scorching or if keeping it stirred will be enough. Maybe just some medium heat? What do other propane burner users here do?:mug:

If your flame is licking up past the bottom of your pot you are just wasting propane. Turn it down.

People turn the flame off to add extract and stir well to avoid scorching. Once at boil, you will be forced to turn the flame down further to avoid boil over and then you will find a nice gentle setting to keep it at boil with the smallest flame.

While I don't use a propane burner, like you said you don't want to make it too hot to get the extract or grains stuck to the bottom of the pot, or scorched.
Getting to a rolling boil fast is fine, just turn it down when you reach it for a nice rolling boil, nothing too extreme and not simmering. Too hot and you'll boil more water away than you want. No more than a 1/2gallon boil off is about right IMO.

Back