Raffle Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002 English Ale
Yeast Starter
1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.018-19
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20d @ 67-69F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
5.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) (Marris Otter
0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley
1.00 lbs. Vienna Malt
1.00 lbs. CaraMunich 60
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1.50 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.15 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00AA% 60 min
0.25 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00AA% 15 min

Single infusion mash ~156-57F.

Nice, bold chocolate, coffee, and oat character, but none of them are harsh or overpowering.

This somewhat calico recipe is the result of winning ingredients for a porter but wanting to brew an oatmeal stout. I like it so much that I will brew it or something like it again.

Low IBUs are important here, as the roasted barley and chocolate malt balance much of the sweetness on their own. Higher hop bitterness could lead to a rough beer.

Looks delicious, probably will be my next brew.

Mind throwing out some hop substitution suggestions? I like to get everything from AHS, and they're currently sold out.

How about EKG or willamette?

Either of those would be fine. Really, I would think any hop that was not citrusy or resiny would work fine here. The hops are far, far in the background, so you just want to make sure they do not clash.

TL

should the oats be baked? what does baking the oats do?
oh and whats with the name?? Planning on this being the next in line

Baking the oats is a matter of personal taste. Baking them will give you a breadier or toastier flavor, while not baking them will give you a milder oat flavor (that is hard to describe beyond "oat flavor." Either way, you get the fullness from the oats.

The name comes from the fact that I won most of the ingredients in the Foam Rangers meeting raffle. As I mentioned above, I was planning on brewing an oatmeal stout when I won the ingredients for a robust porter. I used those ingredients, added some more, and brewed up my "Raffle Oatmeal Stout."

TL

Latest posts

Back