Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenapple

Reaction score
I am brewing a red ale edme kit for my first time. I heard a good rule of thumb is the 1-2-3 method. One week in primary,two weeks in secondary, three weeks bottle condition. I get that. When I transfer it into secondary do I add the priming sugar then or right before I bottle it?( at the end of two weeks) I understand the secondary is for clearing up your brew I just wasnt sure. It seems to me if you added the sugar at the time you racked to secondary that your brew would be carbonated in the bucket.
As easy as this brewing stuff seems, it also can be really confusing. Thanks everybody for your longwinded patience.

on bottling day, boil a cup of water , and dissolve the priming sugar in that.
then pour that sugar water into your bottling bucket.
then rack from secondary to the bucket, so the little swirling action stirs the sugar into the beer.

then bottle. do it this way and you don't even need to stir the bucket with a spoon, and you'll have even carbonation in the bottles.

Back