American Pale Ale 8 Parsec Pale Ale BIAB/PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1.5ish l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 63
Tasting Notes
Its a slap in the face of citrus hop flavor and aroma, with a good malt presence
As I have changed over from all extract to Partial Mash/BIABS I always have to go and convert all the recipes I imitate over from either extract or AG, so I decided that when I make a decent PM of my own i'll post it up for any other people like me who like or have to do Partial Mashes

This beer was well reviewed by my club and a weekend long homebrew festival, I tried to get people to be honest with me but they were nothing but enthusiastic about it. The trio of Citra, Amarillo and Sorachi Ace work very well together in giving huge citrus hop flavor and aroma but it has decent malt backbone to let you know its still beer you are drinking and not just thin hop water. I know a lot of people like their APA/IPA malt profiles simple but this really works.

If i was to enter this I would enter it in both IPA and APA, might be to hoppy for some judges as an APA.

My best recipe to date.

4lbs 2 Row
8oz Caramel 40
8oz Munich malt
8oz Victory
1lb Light DME
3.3lbs Pale LME

.45oz Citra(14.1%) @ 60
.50oz Citra(14.1%) @ 15
.50oz Sorachi Ace(12.0%) @ 15
.50oz Amarillo(8.7%) @ 5
.50oz Citra(14.1%) @ 1
.50oz Amarillo(8.7%) @1
.50oz Citra(14.1%) Dry Hop 6 days
.50oz Sorachi Ace(12.0%) Dry Hop 6 days

Mash the 5.5lbs of grain for 45-60 minutes at 152 in maybe 1.8-1.9 gallons of water, On the side I get a another pot to 160 with the rest of my water in it. When time is up I just dip sparge it for about 20 minutes. Gave me pretty decent effeciency, maybe 2 points off of the beersmith approx.
Added the LME and DME at the beginning of boil

Latest posts

Back