Are these particles clinging to the bottle normal for wild yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
Is this normal? This is a wild ale I made from yeast I captured out of the air. No telling what it is. I let it sit in the primary for 6 weeks until it was 1.000, dry as a bone.
The yeast in the bottom of the primary was really grainy loose slurry. Weird looking.
After bottling, this particulate settled out, some of it shakes off the sides, but most of it clings and I have to scrub the bottles, which no other beer has done for me before.

It tastes really good. It didn't kill me. I know nothing that can harm you can live in beer.... i'm more worried about the byproducts of things that survived until it was beer.

This is about 8.7% ABV, way higher than I intended, but I didn't think it'd drop to 1.000 either.

2012-12-26_16-47-45_222.jpg&

I have seen this with a variey of ale yeasts, like SO-04 and SO-05. Scrubbing or soaking with bleach seems to be required to get them out. One theory is that the yeast obtain a static charge when they are low on nutrients, perhaps minerals.

Latest posts

Back