Will the fermentation in the bottles result in more alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just calculated that my IPA will be 3.57% at the time of the bottling. I think it is a bit low.....will the priming sugar transfer into some alcohol too? If yes, how can I calculate the final %?

Thanks

Yes- alchohol will be produced as a result of the fermentation of the priming solution- yet, it is very minimal and negligible.
5 ga batch? How much of what sugar did you add? Try hopville beer calculus. Might give you a good idea of how much alcohol will be added.

Yes- alchohol will be produced as a result of the fermentation of the priming solution- yet, it is very minimal and negligible.
5 ga batch? How much of what sugar did you add? Try hopville beer calculus. Might give you a good idea of how much alcohol will be added.

5 ga batch. Yes.

We havent added sugar....we used malt extract (3 kilos, canned syrup). For the priming we used 100 g (1/2 cup) normal sugar.

We have actually calculated this from the initial reading....1.040......and the final reading. 1.015. We multiplied the difference by 105.

According to Hopville, 4 oz of corn sugar would add .1% abv to a 5 gallon batch.

According to Hopville, 4 oz of corn sugar would add .1% abv to a 5 gallon batch.
4 oz is 113 grams. We added 100 grams (1/2 cup). I think it will add 1% (more or less) then. Thanks for the info.

For dextrose. Table sugar requires about 3/4 the amount.

84.75 grams.....we put 100 grams (1/2 cup). Alrighty....thanks a lot for the info. After 3 weeks I will be able to tell you if 100 grams have made a big difference instead of the recommended 84.75 grams.

I would trust it for something like the fermentability of a given amount of xyz type of sugar though.

Although it is certainly not perfect. No way to edit mash temp, mash time, etc.. so there is a margin of error for sure. When I was using this I would often get higher OG's than hopville would predict.

Back