Monster Mill MM2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk21

Reaction score
So I just got a Monster Mill MM2 so that I'm ready to move on to all-grain brewing for my next batch. I know a number of folks on here have this mill, so I thought someone could provide some insight.

I got it assembled and fiddled around with it but the non-drive roller spins but not as nicely as the driven roller. If I give the drive roller a quick spin, it will continue to spin for a couple of seconds, where the non-driven roller will stop much faster. When running grain through it, there were no problems as a result, and the non-driven roller turned, but I wanted to know if this is typical.

I squared the frames and left the recommended .03" gap between one end of the roller and the frame. Looking at the directions again, it sounds like actually squaring the frames may not be necessary and I should leave one frame tightened to the base and fiddle with the other until the non-driven roller spins freely, just like the driven roller. Am I correct on this?

I just don't want to tear it apart again if I'm not actually going to get better results.

Thanks!

It sounds fine to me. As long as it spins without contacting the frame you should be fine. It's bushings not ball bearings so some drag is to be expected.

You should always have the frames square and mounted solidly. The rollers should spin smoothly without the feeling that they are binding in any way. The non drive roller may be a little tweaked so it's not spinning as freely as it can. Check your square again and adjust as needed. You may have to mess with it a little to get the mill mounted and working as smoothly as you want it. That's just my 2 cents!

I actually just heard back from Fred at Monster who said that as long as it spins freely enough that the grain feeds reliably, things are fine. Since I ran about a pound through and experienced no feeding issues, since my carpenter's square indicates that the frame pieces are perfectly square to each other, and since it looks like it produced a nice crush, I suppose I'll leave things well enough alone.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Back