lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
I think I might have ruined/changed a good lager. After pitching the yeast at room temp I placed my carboy down in my basement in a far corner to cool it down for a day or so while the yeast became active then continue cooling down for the primary fermentation in a lagering box I built. work became a problem and my basement was not as cool as I thought and the lager fermented at 60 degrees for 4 days before I could get back to it. I am now cooling it down approx 2 degrees a day and it is at 54 now. I am using a wyeast pilsen lager and it is an american amber lager OG 1.042. I know this yeast can ferment higher and might not be a problem but what should I expect and how should I proceed to get the best result posssible?

Well I'm sure it will be fine, but probably not exactly what you wanted. You were not low enough for a typical lager ferment, but not really high enough for a steam beer though I could be wrong on that account. At this point I'd just continue like you were planning and ferment it at 54 and after primary drop it down to lagering temps. It'll turn out fine.

I'd suggest doing a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. You should be fine though. Have a long lagering period would be helpful as well. Your beer will forgive your mistakes over time....

Well I'm sure it will be fine, but probably not exactly what you wanted. You were not low enough for a typical lager ferment, but not really high enough for a steam beer though I could be wrong on that account. At this point I'd just continue like you were planning and ferment it at 54 and after primary drop it down to lagering temps. It'll turn out fine.

I'd suggest doing a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. You should be fine though. Have a long lagering period would be helpful as well. Your beer will forgive your mistakes over time....

Kaiser did a wiki page on lagering that will probably be helpful.

for the rest of the primary fermentation can get it down to about 50 then will do the diacetyl rest and lager the secondary as planed. thanks for the replies. the wiki was very informative, thanks. The longer lager period is no problem because at the same time I did an English Mild to hold me over and I do plan on doing the lager again in April/May. Again thanks

Back