Per pound grain mashing = how much DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I have recipe which calls for say 5 lbs DME in the different varieties what grain would I need to mash and how long assuming 65% efficiency. This is something I have been wanting to know so I can make extract recipes into PM recipes.

What grain do you mash for light DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of light DME?

What grain do you mash for extra light DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of extra light DME?

What grain do you mash for pale DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of pale DME?

What grain do you mash for wheat DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of wheat DME?

What grain do you mash for dark DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of dark DME?

What grain do you mash for amber DME and how much is needed to equal 1lb of amber DME?

If anyone knows this info it would save me some money for sure, even if I could cut the DME bill by half and mash grains to account for the other half.

depends entirely on the company you are purchasing from. generally, when i bought LME, it was

Light: Marris Otter
Extra Light: American 2-row
Pale: American Pale Ale Malt
Wheat: 60/40 blend of American Wheat/2-row
not sure about the dark and ambers. i know they are a blend.

ask at your LHBS or wherever you purchase from, they should have that information.

most of the DME is going to be the same gravity, so the grain/DME ratio will be the same

Most grain has a PPG of about 35 whereas DME is at 45. However, given an efficiency of about 75%, figure on using about twice as much grain as you would DME across the board.

light DME? American 2-row

extra light DME? Pilsner

pale DME? American 2 row or Maris Otter.

wheat DME ? .5lb 2-row + .5lb malted wheat

The darker extracts are tough to guess because there are too many dark specialty malts. It's probably better to use recipes that are based on all grain and convert the portion of base malts to any added DME you need while mashing SOME base grain and all of the specialty malts called for.

If anyone knows this info it would save me some money for sure, even if I could cut the DME bill by half and mash grains to account for the other half.[/QUOTE]

Most grain has a PPG of about 35 whereas DME is at 45. However, given an efficiency of about 75%, figure on using about twice as much grain as you would DME across the board.

light DME? American 2-row
extra light DME? Pilsner
pale DME? American 2 row or Maris Otter.
wheat DME ? .5lb 2-row + .5lb malted wheat

thanks for that info bobby

Back