Banjo Burner Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey All

So im having issues with my burner.....heres the story

I was making a batch 2 weeks ago and everything was fine but like how things always go.....i took my eye off of it and...BOIL OVER!
and with that I had some wort carmalyze inside of my burner.

The next batch i made went fine however the wort that was inside the burner burned....which about 5 mins until the end of the boil caused the propane to no longer run through and......no more burner.

THe burner im using is like this
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17245//Propane_Burner_-_55000_btu

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they know how to fix it or.....?

All the best

Cheers

take it apart and clean it out. scrape and wire brush as much goo off the outside as you can, then poke clean the burner holes, a drill bit clamped in vise grips works good for this.

Hey All

So im having issues with my burner.....heres the story

I was making a batch 2 weeks ago and everything was fine but like how things always go.....i took my eye off of it and...BOIL OVER!
and with that I had some wort carmalyze inside of my burner.

The next batch i made went fine however the wort that was inside the burner burned....which about 5 mins until the end of the boil caused the propane to no longer run through and......no more burner.

THe burner im using is like this
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17245//Propane_Burner_-_55000_btu

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they know how to fix it or.....?

All the best

Cheers

As the saying goes...

A watched pot never boils.

For homebrewers, however, it goes like this:

An UN-watched pot will ALWAYS boil over.

Never take your eyes off the ball.

Soak it in hot water, boiling if needed. Use a toothbrush. Rinse and repeat. It will eventually come clean.

FYI, that's not a banjo burner, it's a cup style diffuser burner. Anyway, remove the center bolt (which is also the mounting bolt) and then you can separate the inner fluted disc from the outer cup. I would get some Easy Off Oven Cleaner to clean it. Get the original heavy duty stuff if you can find it. Rinse it off and use a wire brush to clean the flutes on both the cup and the inner disc then re-assemble and give it a go. There are no holes to clean on this type of burner, just the fluted grooves on the side of the diffuser disc which need to be clean.

FYI, that's not a banjo burner, it's a cup style diffuser burner. Anyway, remove the center bolt (which is also the mounting bolt) and then you can separate the inner fluted disc from the outer cup. I would get some Easy Off Oven Cleaner to clean it. Get the original heavy duty stuff if you can find it. Rinse it off and use a wire brush to clean the flutes on both the cup and the inner disc then re-assemble and give it a go. There are no holes to clean on this type of burner, just the fluted grooves on the side of the diffuser disc which need to be clean.

Also, check the main tube/hole/inlet for the propane...I had wort go all the way to the this point once, which the heat of the burner evaporated most of the liquid, but the burned off residue clogged the inlet...used a screw driver to scrape the crap out in addition to Catt22's steps. Then you'll be :rockin:

This just happened to me. Just unscrewed the center bolt and dropped the whole works into a hot bucket of Oxy. 10 min later I started hitting it with a wire brush. The inner diffuser then came out and I got all the gunk in there. I had a tube / pipe cleaning brush and did the main tube. Everything came out really easy. Drying now and should be back in action in no time!

Back