Baby Scoby Rising Out of the Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hordan

Reaction score
Does anyone here find that the baby starts to rise out of the liquid, due to the gas pushing it up? And if so, is that a bad thing?

After a few days of brewing, I see this happening. I end up pushing it back down into the liquid, only to find that a day or so later it's risen again.

Will I get a better brew if I continue to do this? I know it's not necessary, per se, but I feel like the baby should be in contact with the liquid in order to infuse the Kombucha with the most amount of bacteria and yeast.

Thanks for your input!

I have had that happen when the scoby is very thin. I use porcelain water dispensers with a clean shirt and rubber band over the top. Sometimes on new batches if I lift the tshirt up, the scoby will be there stuck to it. Once I have established scobies greater than maybe 3/8" thick it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Back