Airlock workaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowlegged

Reaction score
I was planning on using a small freezer I have to hold fermenting carboys at a steady cool temp. The thing is if an airlock is on the top, it makes it too tall. Without the airlock the freezer top shuts fine with a couple inches of space. I've seen people use a sanitized piece of aluminum foil on the top of the carboy. Is this ok for the duration of a fermentation?

Brewers have been using "open fermentation" literally since brewing started. It isn't the best way to go because it can increases chances of infection but it can still work just fine.

That said, it would be better to use a blow-off tube. Do a little search-about and see what I mean.

Grab a few feet of tubing and feed a bit of it through the bung. Put the other end in a growler with some star san solution. Good to go.

There are infinite ways to cap your carboy, so do whatever works considering your space on parts on hand. You'd like it to be sealed to keep bad stuff out. I've been known to stick a 2-ft piece of tubing on a cap, then bend the tubing down then up, and fill it with water to make a homemade airlock. Hey, whatever works!

Rambleon said:
Grab a few feet of tubing and feed a bit of it through the bung. Put the other end in a growler with some star san solution. Good to go.

This works, but has been known to cause problems when people put the beer in a cooler area. The air shrinks and sucks in the liquid from the growler. That's why I prefer the homemade bent-tube airlock hack because even if it sucks back, it can't pull the liquid in. YMMV.

Back