Bad advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefebrewing

Reaction score
Hi, beer brewer straying from home territory here. :)

I just bottled my second batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. My first batch was primed and bottled in 750ml cider bottles. I just used my capper for those. On this batch, I decided to try bottling some of it still. I had 8 wine bottles saved up, so I thought I'd try a few and prime/cap the rest.

So, I went down to the LHBS and got a hand corker and some corks. I thought that the size was standard, so didn't even look at the number. I asked one of the workers how I should go about it, and (unless I misremember - which I don't think I am) he told me to cork the bottles and lay them on their side for a day or two, and then store them standing up after that.

After looking at a few posts in this forum, that advice appears contrariwise to the norm. It would seem most people do the opposite - cork, leave standing, then store laying down. Will both methods work?

No, you do want to leave them upright for 2 days so the corks can seal, then store on the sides.

If you lay them down the corks stay wet (from the sanitizer) and if it warms up, they can push right out. Especially since there is some CO2 still in solution.

Wine makers degas the wine in secondary/tertiary so that its dead still in the bottle. I didn't degas well enough and used synthetic corks, and they pushed right back out in a few hours on some bottles.

Stand them up for the first few days. That way any push-outs won't cost you a bottle.

Hmm...

Well, this was all over a week ago. I just posted my question because I was curious if my 8 bottles were going to be adversely affected.

After corking, I laid the bottles on their side for a day or two, then I pulled them out of the closet and adorned them with some heat-shrink hoods. I've had them standing upright since then.

I noticed when I went to apply the hoods that a couple had a little drip of wine running out, which I didn't think would be a problem because the corks were still (at least in theory) expanding. Is that bad? If standing upright makes them swell and seal, then they should be good to go now, as long as I lay them down. Correct?

I always stand them upright for the first 3 - 5 days to allow the corks to expand and get a tight seal. After that you can lay them on the sides. If I give them away as gifts, I print up some labels and put "hoods" on them. To shrink them up evenly and tight, I use the steam from a tea kettle instead of heat. Works fast and looks nice.

Back