Help choosing hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Ok so I know this all boils down to personal preference, but since I have very limited experience I need some help deciding.

I was never in a position where I could jump on one of farmhouse's combo deals since I was going to let that decide for me but it doesn't seem like there is anything coming up. I finally have a nice cushion of money and can finally by hops by the pound. They are also $4 an oz. at the LHBS as opposed to about a $1 at the store at school so I am looking to buy bulk.

I wont be brewing an IPA any time soon and my main preference is clean, subtle hops. I am looking at brewing a cream ale, stout, brown ale and just a few other random brews in the future.

I am looking for versatile hops that fits the bill above. From my own research I have chosen saaz for bittering/aroma, willamette for aroma and hallertau for everything in between. I am not confident in this decision so any advice would be helpful! Also if anyone knows and current of upcoming deals let me know since I would like to branch out.

I am planning to order on tuesday to grab two free ounces of something random from wholesalehops

I seem to have a supra-normal love for Willamette hops, but... WILLAMETTE.

Seriously, in a dark beer (for your stout or brown ale...) they cannot be beaten in my book.

Sounds like you made good choices for what you want. Maybe also consider fuggles,Tettanger, Simcoe( if you like the pineyness). I use the first two for general purpose and I use simcoe for aroma/flavor with good not citrusy results.

I seem to have a supra-normal love for Willamette hops, but... WILLAMETTE.

Seriously, in a dark beer (for your stout or brown ale...) they cannot be beaten in my book.

Thank you sir. I was hoping that is the case because I am almost completely set on willamette with a slight consideration for fuggles.

Sounds like you made good choices for what you want. Maybe also consider fuggles,Tettanger, Simcoe( if you like the pineyness). I use the first two for general purpose and I use simcoe for aroma/flavor with good not citrusy results.

Thank you for the suggestions. I considered fuggles, but decided willamette instead since in my upcoming brews I want less pronounced hops that accent the malt flavors. I am torn between hallertau and tettanger since I have used them both in the past with good result.

With the two free ounces I'll get from wholesalehops I am considering and ounce of fuggles to do a side by side comparison to willamette and something like simcoe to experiment with.

Can anyone provide a comparison of hallertau to tettnanger or am I off base that they are similar.

Farmhouse is a really good way to go, and their shipping is cheap. Fuggles are a good route when you are looking for low bittering and low citrus flavor. I would say cascade, but fuggles work too. Look at recipes you think you'll like and find the common hops for them.

Farmhouse is a really good way to go, and their shipping is cheap. Fuggles are a good route when you are looking for low bittering and low citrus flavor. I would say cascade, but fuggles work too. Look at recipes you think you'll like and find the common hops for them.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I have been doing...I made a spreadsheet with all the ingredients for all the different recipes I want to brew in the future:

NewPicture5-1.jpg

And I am not locked into a vendor yet, once I figure out exactly what I want to order I'm going to compare

Back