Slow apple and ginger wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiedickson

Reaction score
I started making this apple and ginger wine. I am making 2 gallons. I am using Gervin GV4(26) yeast strain. I heard it can produce a lot of alcohol. Anyway, the fermentation slowed right down to nearly 4 minutes between bubbles, then when thought it was done, it kicked off again st 2 per minute. Now my question is this: when will o know when the fermentation is well and truly finished?

Cheers

I've taken a few, but it seems to be staying the same. Perhaps it'll take more time. I guess waiting a wee bit longer won't hurt.

It could just be off-gassing. The bubbler is not the definitive indicator that fermentation is complete: the hydrometer will tell you. If you take readings on three consecutive days and it reads the same all three, then you're ready to rack.

Plus, racking will leave behind most of the yeast, which will further slow any fermentation (less yeasties to eat any unfermented sugars). And don't worry if you get some serious bubblage after you rack to the new vessel - that will definitely be CO2 coming out of solution, almost certainly not renewed fermentation.

Got a final 3 steady readings. Now abv is around 17.5 - 18% Racked off for clearing. Cheers.

Back