Better Mashing Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have trouble keeping my mash temp over the course of the hour. But I can't decide whether to fire up the keggle during the hour and risk scorching the grains/overheating or leave it alone and let it drop to low 140's if stirred?

FYI:I do the later more often than not and I never stir. The temp on top of mash usually reads 147-148 by end of 60 minutes. I always raise temp to 165+ for mash out and get between 68-73% efficiency.

That efficiency isn't bad. Do you use insulation on your tun during the mash? I have a 15.5 gal sanke tun that I put reflectix insulation on, and I only lose maybe 2 degrees in 70 - 80 mins...

I use a blanket I rap around it, but not every time. Honestly, looking back on past brews it seems to make no difference.

I tried the blanket thing at first, and it is highly inefficient. I actually use the reflectix and blankets (I forgot to mention that).. After I started doing that my temp stayed stable. The reflectix works. I also set it up so that I have a heating pad in between the layers of the reflectix. If I'm worried the temp is dropping too much I just turn the heating pad on to high.

Back