Surface scum fell, problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixbillionethans

Reaction score
I've heard that when a pellicle falls from a wild beer, it's best to rack it soon.

I have a 2mo old rodenbach clone in glass carboy w/ airlock at 64-68F and it developed a bunch of bubbly scum on the surface. I looked yesterday and a significant portion of said scum dropped from the surface and was replaced with a thinner layer of scum with large, nasty looking bubbles.

Was this a pellicle?
Par for the course? Or should I think about doing something?

I'm not worried about the scum. I expected some level of nastiness. I'm worried specifically about the falling of the scum.

Doesn't sound like the pellicle. The pellicle is usually like a coating that doesn't move much and covers the entire surface. You'll know it when you see it. I am not sure where the advice to rack comes in, it doesn't sound on par with anything. These pellicles take a long time to form and do their business.

The bubbles are a good thing. Just let it go. Try not to move it, as you can break it up.

Also, if you are worried, get some used oak cubes. Throw them in there and the bugs will use them as sort of life rafts.

I've heard that when a pellicle falls from a wild beer, it's best to rack it soon.

I have a 2mo old rodenbach clone in glass carboy w/ airlock at 64-68F and it developed a bunch of bubbly scum on the surface. I looked yesterday and a significant portion of said scum dropped from the surface and was replaced with a thinner layer of scum with large, nasty looking bubbles.

Was this a pellicle?
Par for the course? Or should I think about doing something?

I'm not worried about the scum. I expected some level of nastiness. I'm worried specifically about the falling of the scum.

rodenbach clone????????????????????????

recepie? :D :tank:

Check my profile page, there's a link to my recipe.

I suppose it's not a total clone as it's more of a brown than a red, but the OG is in line with a Flanders Red and I'm aging it accordingly.

The key is using the WY Roeselare strain, which I've had going for about 3 months now. We'll sse how this one turns out.

Back