Sugar not mixed? Problem or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeustchLehrer

Reaction score
I made an impulse buy today, and made a possible impulse mistake...

After seeing my buddies EZ cap 2-liter bottle 'fermenter' I decided I would make my own cider as well. I went to the local homebrew store, and bought an airlock, growler, champagne yeast, and star-san sanitation solution.

I went to Meijer, local grocery store, and bought their brand of organic apple juice from concentrate. I mixed one gallon of this juice with 180 grams of table sugar, but I did not mix the sugar very well and it is sitting on the bottom.

Will the yeast still do it's job, or should I mix the sugar into solution? I won't be able to check it or mix until tomorrow morning, any advice is appreciated.

as long as you used that airlock to bleed off excess co2, there won't be any problem. just need to make sure the growler is airtight if you use it to age the cider.

I bought a plastic cap with a hole and an air-lock filled with vodka is pressed firmly into that hole. I just started it about 3 hours ago and I won't be able to check on it until for about 12-14 more hours, so I'm hoping it will be bubbling when I get back... only time will tell, I hope my first gallon is a success.

I warmed up about a cup of apple juice in a small pot and dissolved the sugar in there, then poured it into the glass jug along with the rest of the juice.. The champagne yeast worked great for me.

I would recommend giving the sugar more time to dissolve before you pitch your yeast, It will still work but probably not to it's full potential. You should see slow bubbling in your airlock anywhere from about 10-24 hours and it should be going good shortly thereafter. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I made an impulse buy today, and made a possible impulse mistake...

After seeing my buddies EZ cap 2-liter bottle 'fermenter' I decided I would make my own cider as well. I went to the local homebrew store, and bought an airlock, growler, champagne yeast, and star-san sanitation solution.

I went to Meijer, local grocery store, and bought their brand of organic apple juice from concentrate. I mixed one gallon of this juice with 180 grams of table sugar, but I did not mix the sugar very well and it is sitting on the bottom.

Will the yeast still do it's job, or should I mix the sugar into solution? I won't be able to check it or mix until tomorrow morning, any advice is appreciated.

Eh no mistake...only thing is you dnt know sg so you can't get a good calculation on abv...but there are some calculators out there to give a suggested sg...yeast will power through in no time enjoy

It's going strong!.... I think. Big chunks floating up and down, and bubbles coming through the airlock about every 3 seconds.

Is my cider going to taste awful if I drink it after 2 weeks? Is secondary a necessity?

bub.png

Is my cider going to taste awful if I drink it after 2 weeks? Is secondary a necessity?

I drink cider from 2 to 4 weeks if you like the taste drink it.....secondary not necessary but does help with clearity. And taste

My first and second batches needed aging to taste really good, they weren't fantastic right off the bat but have gotten a lot better.

My third batch tastes awesome( and is perfectly clear after 7 days in the fridge) at 3 weeks from the start date.

I tried my cider after a week, it fermented dry in about 9 days. It was decent, but very yeasty and a strong alcohol bite. I have it cold crashing in secondary in the fridge right now, gonna bottle it soon and let it sit for a few weeks in the fridge.

At about 42 hours it has lightened significantly compared to the last picture, the foam on the top has died down tremendously, and the large floating chunks have disappeared allowing smaller bubbles to replace them. Visibility has also decreased from about 6 inches to <1 inch within the vessel.

Bubbling strong every 1.5 seconds.

Is this a typical progression? In your experience is this normal/good/bad?

Apologies for the disoriented picture, I tried rotating the image and it still showed up sideways :(

Fotooo.jpg

Back