Just picked vs Dried Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhntnfsh

Reaction score
Can I use fresh just picked hops in my next batch? or must I first DRY out the hops. If I don't need to dry them first, what would be the equivalent of 1 ounce of pellets vs fresh off the vine??
Obviously I am new to this and would appreciate any comments..

You can use them fresh off the bine, but you risk getting a real "grassy" sort of taste in the beer. I've found that drying changes the flavor of my hops a bit and takes some of that veggie-like taste out of them. I like to use fresh picked hops only at the end of the boil or as a steep for aroma. that's just my take....

It's called Fresh Hop Brewing and is very popular up here in the Fall. I've only noticed the grassiness when using them for post-ferment aroma adds.

Use six times as much by weight.

I want to do a fresh hop SMaSH with my cascades if I get enough at harvest. Any ideas for a receipe?

David 42 - Just to specify, if a receipe calls for 2 oz of pellets, aim to use about 12oz of fresh hops?

I want to do a fresh hop SMaSH with my cascades if I get enough at harvest. Any ideas for a receipe?

David 42 - Just to specify, if a receipe calls for 2 oz of pellets, aim to use about 12oz of fresh hops?

First you have to convert the two ounces pellet to leaf...than X6

Dried pellet to dried leaf should be about the same. Very little leaf mass is added or lost in comparison to the lupulin when they make pellets. Pellet to wet leaf is as previously mentioned.

So back to my original Q...so there is an understanding...2 oz. of pellet = about 12 oz of whole leaf (dry or wet)...or am I just missing something?

capt, have you had much luck growing hops in Staten Island? I was thinking of trying it, but wasn't sure if we had much of a shot here. What part of SI are you in?

Back