Oats in Pale Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I was just reading the description for Simpson's golden naked Oats, and it states that it is recommended for brewing bitter and other pale styles. I was always under the impression that oats were only to be used in dark beers because they result in a lot of haze. Whats up w/ this? anybody ever brew a pale beer w/ oats?

Technically they should be in dark beers for the haze reason. However they give a great creamy mouthfeel that overrides The Haze IMO.

I have an Extract Kit American Cream ale that I PM'ed a half pound of toasted flaked oats in. Mostly because I was dying to mash something! When I racked to the secondary, I was blown away by the color and body of it. I was inspired to add some honey to the secondary, leaving me with a Toasted Oat Honey Ale. Sounds like a breakfast beer to me!

+1 on the mouthfeel overriding the haze.

I have an Extract Kit American Cream ale that I PM'ed a half pound of toasted flaked oats in. Mostly because I was dying to mash something! When I racked to the secondary, I was blown away by the color and body of it. I was inspired to add some honey to the secondary, leaving me with a Toasted Oat Honey Ale. Sounds like a breakfast beer to me!

+1 on the mouthfeel overriding the haze.

Did you toast the oats yourself?

Used in moderation, haze isn't really an issue. The literature tells us 1-3% of the grist can be flaked oats, though I've used flaked oats up to 5% without haze issue. I've used oat malt up to 10% without haze problems.

Bob

I did toast the oats myself, just stuck them in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes. I am going to bottle it next weekend. Giving an extra week in the secondary since I hear honey is slow to ferment.

By the way NQ3X - Coal Porter is a brilliant name for a beer.

:off:

By the way NQ3X - Coal Porter is a brilliant name for a beer.

Thanks! Though I can't take credit for the name. I got it from Black Rock Brewery & Restaurant (see the connection?), where I brewed for a while. In fact, the recipe is a scaled-down version of the 3.5bbl batch.

Cheers,

Bob

Both GNO and Flaked Oats are amazing in Pale Ales, Session beers and IPAs.

My latest session IPA ( 4.3% - OG: 1.045/FG: 1.012 ) had 23.5% Flaked oats and 5.9% GNO and turned out fantastic. Good mouthfeel and a bit hazy, but that's a non-issue. Bright yellow colour.

Here's the recipe if interested: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/512075/session-ipa

Oatsmobile_WebPic_736X736.png

Planning on some Golden Naked Oats in an upcoming winter brewed robust porter. No doubt this would be interesting to experiment with in other styles, too ... like a pale ale.

I do an IPA with GNO (.75 lbs) definitely worth the addition

For those who've used them, I'm curious to know how Simpson's Golden Oats might've improved your beer and why you think they're a better alternative, and how you used them as an ingredient.
My local brew shop carries them and the price is more expensive than any crystal grains.
Suggestions on recommended amounts in the brew also welcome.

For those who've used them, I'm curious to know how Simpson's Golden Oats might've improved your beer and why you think they're a better alternative, and how you used them as an ingredient.
My local brew shop carries them and the price is more expensive than any crystal grains.

I think GNO will kinda get lost in a Porter due to the amount/variety of specialty malts.

The session beer I made had 5.9% GNO and 5.9% Carabelge, which is a very light Crystal malt. The resulting beer was not sweet or cloying at all. It has a lot of body for such a low ABV beer and pretty good mouthfeel.

The head retention is kinda poor - a non-issue for me -, but this is due to the large amount of oats. ( I made some bad calculations and did not have enough pale malt, so I subbed it with Flaked oats, which have a slight negative impact on head retention ).

But the beer itself is a nice, bright yellow colour and does not feel watery.

I think GNO on itself, along with pale malt, oats and some flaked barley or wheat, can go up to 10% without making the beer feel sweet and sticky. It will add color and probably a very subtle maltiness, which will go along nicely with lots of hops.

For Pale Ales, use as crystal. Same percentages.

has a sweet nutty taste that can be a bit much for me at higher %. I like to stay less than 10% for sure - preferably around 5% or so.

For Pale Ales, use as crystal. Same percentages.

has a sweet nutty taste that can be a bit much for me at higher %. I like to stay less than 10% for sure - preferably around 5% or so.

Yes, I agree. A sweet nutty taste that is unique but can be overdone in a higher than 7% or so amount. A little is great in pale ales, though!

FWIW - here is a 5.75 gallon IPA grain bill that simply kills with GNO -
8.63 lb ESB
4.63 lb Pale 2-row
0.68 lb GNO
0.63 lb Victory
0.38 lb Torrified Wheat

Cannot give away rest, but stick with citrus/fruity hops and english yeast.

FWIW - here is a 5.75 gallon IPA grain bill that simply kills with GNO -
8.63 lb ESB
4.63 lb Pale 2-row
0.68 lb GNO
0.63 lb Victory
0.38 lb Torrified Wheat

Cannot give away rest, but stick with citrus/fruity hops and english yeast.
Hilarious, pro breweries are literally giving away their entire recipes but some guy on a homebrew msg board needs to keep his secrets. I know I'm years late, but couldn't help myself

hilarious thread in general, especially the parts about the negatives of haze inducing oats circa 2009

I brewed a double IPA with flaked oats that I was really happy with.

Like others have said, results are better when I show restraint.

Hilarious, pro breweries are literally giving away their entire recipes but some guy on a homebrew msg board needs to keep his secrets. I know I'm years late, but couldn't help myself
Was at work and typing on phone. Tried to say I could not give any of the rest (beersmith at home on computer, not on phone) but was kind of irrelevant as the citrusy hops we all know will do . Glad it gave you a chuckle though

Back