Looking for a mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGriff731

Reaction score
Hey guys! Ok so here's the story, got some pretty awesome things over the holiday to add to the brewery, including a Morebeer 14gal. heated & cooled conical. Anyway, lol! After tax season, hopefully, I will have the $$$ to purchase a Braumeister! I have already purchased 2 all grain kits, American Lite Ale, from MoreBeer as well, just as a simple pilot batch for the system. However, as this will be my first time attempting AG I was looking for a decent mash sched. for this beer. The mash includes 6lbs. of 2-row pale malt & 2lbs. of dried rice extract. The instructions say to...well, merely nothing. The maltster of this grain is unknown, unless its on their site, i couldn't find it. All I'm looking for is the best mash schedule for best potential flavor, what little there will be.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated!

Let me know if there is any other info you may need!

Thanks again everyone,
Justin

Single infusion mash, fly sparge if you're equipped for it. No need to complicate things. If you're trying to make a really light beer, 140 f for an hour or two will completely destroy any complex sugars, and you'll get a very light ale.

May I ask, though, why you would pick a light beer with no known mash schedule for your first all-grain batch? Light beers are extremely touchy and difficult to make good, even for experienced all-grain brewers. Might I suggest a maltier amber ale, a stout, or an american wheat, all of which would be flavorful enough to cover any sins?

Well I was looking for something very drinkable, even if things would happen to go wrong, plus everything I've made in the past has been dark & malty. I've been reading everything that I can to learn about mashing, reading "Brewing Lager Beers" at the moment, which actually contains info about lagers & ales, very in depth so far. That and I'm hoping the Braumeister will make things that much easier :)

Since you have rice extract I'm assuming you are just mashing the 6# of 2-row. Use 9 quarts of water to mash. Anywhere in the upper 140's should work fine. If you strike for 148, you won't have to worry about losing a few degrees over the length of the mash. I think 1.5-2 hours

Add the rice extract in the last 10 min of the boil.

Back