Is my beer gonna taste like poop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCD

Reaction score
So this is my first homebrew, and i made a couple mistakes.

i didnt have a big enough pot, so i added 5 gallons worth of malt to about 4 gallons of water.

then i forgot to sift the hops out of the primary before letting ferment for 2 weeks.

im about to move it to the carboy for the secondary, but i dont have any hops to add. so is this even necessary?

it was s crystal malt, fuggels hops.

i imagine this isnt going to be good for the taste, but how bad will it be?

also i didnt get sugar for when i bottle, is this a necessity? the guy at the homebrew shop said i had all i need, but i keep seeing this sugar pop up when reading about homebrewing.

Thanks for any inputs.

I don't think you did too bad at all so it should taste like beer, not poop.
It may be a little stronger than the recipe called for since you are short on water but so what.
You don't need to strain before putting it in primary nor do you have to add more hops to secondary so you're good there.
You will need some priming sugar when you go to bottle. You'll want to get about 4 ounces of corn sugar, boil it up with some water and add to your bottling bucket.
Welcome to HBT!

All will be fine... add 3/4 teasp per bottle (table sugar is not optimal but will work)...
tag

You have no problem at all about the hops or partial boil. Did you top off up to 5 Gallons or leave it at 4 Gallons in the fermenter? Either way will be fine and you will love the beer.

As far as the sugar for when you bottle. Your guy at the shop has his head someplace really unpleasant. Or you misunderstood. You absolutely need priming sugar. 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in a pint of water for a couple minutes. Don't bottle without it. Put it into the bottling bucket, siphon your beer over it into the bottling bucket and then bottle.

i didnt have a big enough pot, so i added 5 gallons worth of malt to about 4 gallons of water.

May be a tad stronger than the recipe called for... Did you top it off when you put it in the fementer?

then i forgot to sift the hops out of the primary before letting ferment for 2 weeks.

No problem... Next...

im about to move it to the carboy for the secondary, but i dont have any hops to add. so is this even necessary?

Unless you intend to dry hop in secondary, not necessary...

i imagine this isnt going to be good for the taste, but how bad will it be?

Only one way to find out.... Crack one after a while and see...

also i didnt get sugar for when i bottle, is this a necessity? the guy at the homebrew shop said i had all i need, but i keep seeing this sugar pop up when reading about homebrewing.

You may wanna pick some up prior to bottling... It is needed to carbonate while in the bottles...

Is my beer gonna taste like poop?

Unless someone / something left a floater in you wort at some point, you should be OK...

:mug:

(all that work and I got beat to the punch by THREE people?!?!?! DAMN!!!)

May be a tad stronger than the recipe called for... Did you top it off when you put it in the fementer?

No problem... Next...

Unless you intend to dry hop in secondary, not necessary...

Only one way to find out.... Crack one after a while and see...

You may wanna pick some up prior to bottling... It is needed to carbonate while in the bottles...

Unless someone / something left a floater in you wort at some point, you should be OK...

:mug:

(all that work and I got beat to the punch by THREE people?!?!?! DAMN!!!)

In the time it took me write my response you said it all. HCD, listen to Duckfoot and the others that posted before I could get my response in.

Only thing I might add...cool that sugar water after boiling and before putting it in the bottling bucket.

Your going to need to sanitize your bottles and everything that touches your brew from now on with this batch. I use 3ml of Iodophor/gal of H2O for a ten minute(probably too long) contact time. Some folks prefer Star-San. I've never used it. Keep everything sanitized, pitch enough yeast,and ferment in a proper temp range and you'll be pleased with your results.

Thanks for all the input!

I think we did a pretty good job on sanatizing, we have this LD Carlson "easy clean" stuff.

You guys are awsome.

Thanks for all the input!

I think we did a pretty good job on sanatizing, we have this LD Carlson "easy clean" stuff.

You guys are awsome.

In the future get yourself some starsan. It's a real sanatizer, unlike what your using. There a million threads on how to use it.:mug:

Back